Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Frustration over Consumerism

I am staring at a mass of wires. They take up most of my desk. These are odds and ends, adapters and cords that go to many different electronic gadgets. What amazes me is that none of them fit any of the others. I was frustrated today. I realized that the phone I bought had adapters . . . that would not fit any of the accessories I already had. This means I have to go out and buy either new adapters or new accessories. Neither is an appetizing prospect as I know my little pile of "just in case" wires will grow. Someday I will finally work up the nerve to get rid of them.

This is one price of consumerism. Don't misunderstand me, I believe that Capitalism works. Consumerism is a perverted Capitalism, run amok. We champ at the bit to spend more money on things we don't need or replace things that don't need replacing. We invent more refined gadgets to do the same thing less refined ones did. Why is a micro USB port so much better than a mini USB? Why can't the adapter fit the older technology? The answer to these questions is . . . money. There are whole businesses devoted to making these cables and adapters and selling them for eight to ten times what they're worth. It makes these businesses money to prevent the technologies from fitting together. Really, three cords to fit one piece of equipment to its accessory?

Sometimes I wish I had been born many ages ago when things were somewhat simpler and technology crept along at a snail's pace. A time when I could stop and look and ponder things. I have longed to watch things grow, to notice how things move, to enjoy the creeping and crawling and flying things of the world. Instead, I am the one flying about trying to earn money to buy more adapters, more stuff, more "life". I loathe this kind of "progress".


This is half my bag of accessories and adapters. Most have been produced by the same company. Not one links to another! I cannot make one of my cell phones link both to an ear piece and to the computer (not at the same time) with these wires. I need more wires, each at 1/3 the price of the phone itself! I haven't much more to say except: consumerism is bad!

1 comment:

Jerald said...

I think you'd be suprised at the number of folks who could say exactly the same thing. I have a file cabinet in my home office that has one whole drawyer for just 'extra stuff' - wires, connectors, power cords, etc., etc., etc.
I am going to save them for, you know, "just in case."