Friday, January 16, 2009

A Glimpse of The True Nature of Our Culture

Warning: this topic is inappropriate for younger readers and is rather risque. I have decided not to link to any other sources besides the Huffington Post due to its nature and my commitment to my readers' (and my own) purity.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Natalie Dylan, a twenty-two year old student from San Diego, is offering her virginity to the highest bidder. Yes, you read that correctly. The top bid so far is a staggering $3.7 Million. She will be doing the deed at Nevada's infamous Bunny Ranch brothel.

Really, this is not that surprising. I have heard of Japanese schoolgirls conducting similar auctions in order to pay for college. If the feds and courts do not intervene, you can be sure more and more American girls will be doing the same. Our culture is sinking to new lows.

When promiscuous sex is no longer a secret thing that takes place in back alleys or hotel rooms, but is broadcast on television and pushed over the internet, we can be sure we are at a turning point. Our culture, like Rome, will destroy itself through debauchery and intrigue. Christians, however, have the opportunity to live differently and show themselves to be a peculiar people, living holy and pure lives.

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-- not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-- continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe (Philippians 2:12-15).

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

When I first read about this young lady, I was not suprised considering the direction of our culture over the past 10 years. For me, what has been revealing is the utter perversion of how sin is expressed. God created sex for his glory to be a most joyful act between a man and woman in marriage. What then is God's fury going to be like when He carries out His judgment upon selling something that is sacred in God's eyes? This story just makes me think of God as a righteous judge and warrior for His name sake and how we see in the Old Testament that He did carry out judgment upon Israel and He will carry out His judgment again someday. We don't worship a passive God who will let this wicked act go unpunished. Also, this story reminds me of how much I have been forgiven because when I read about this lady, I am once again reminded that there is not one once of righteousness in my heart apart from Christ. Thus, my heart is saddened for this young lady to take something so precious and sell it so cheaply. (3.7 mill compared to the joy of sex for the glory of God) Can there really be a comparison? Keep fighting the good fight, Steve.

Steven Douglas said...

Thanks, Jonathan. Great perspective, I completely agree.