Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day found us in Minnesota this year, celebrating with family. Jenny's mom and step-dad generously flew us up. I must admit, though, that I have been struggling with thankfulness. I have been convicted that my focus has been considerably off. I have been concerned with grades, with money, with possessions and position; becoming angry when my desires for these things are not met. I am a far cry from the person that I want to be.

I have begun the attempt to proactively change my viewpoint. I have begun to focus my Bible study on rightly viewing who God is, and on what the Christian life should look like. I have found it appropriate that moving toward the Thanksgiving holiday, I was finding passages on what it means to be truly thankful.

I have found that it is so easy to become wrapped up in myself. I suspect many of us face this same temptation. I am ashamed that I have enveloped myself in it for so long. During this time when we wrap ourselves in a cell of food, affirmation, and comfort, while the leaves have fallen and the world around us has become dreary and dull, let's realize how similar these physical conditions are to our spiritual conditions. The world around us is spiritually empty and dull. Some of us Christians have been reflecting a similar state (I do not intend to indicate a loss of salvation, but rather a spiritual anemia from lack of rich biblical food). Yet Christ calls us to the table of choice and tasty fare, to the fellowship of the saints, and to the filling of our souls with him. May we all partake to our satisfaction.

1 comment:

Frank Tomi said...

Hi Steven

I liked the post on Obama.
Promote your blog in my link box, I need seminary students like, I have over 500 members many new young christians

Thankyou
Frank