Sunday, August 10, 2008

American Sweep In Women's Fencing

Unfortunately, fencing has never seemed to catch-on as an American sport. Maybe it's because it isn't continually action-packed, or maybe because it is a sport of finesse instead of meaty pugilism. Either way, NBC will not be covering much of this sport on the air. Gladly, they did show some of the American upset yesterday.

Just as Americans do not seem to enjoy watching fencing, many do not enjoy participating in it. We do not have the same fencing infrastructure as Russia, Europe, or even some of the Asian countries. America is not considered a fencing powerhouse.

Thus, yesterday's august American performance left us all with renewed hope for the sport here, with three of our own women taking all three medals in the saber competition. Mariel Zagunis took gold, Sada Jacobson silver and Becca Ward bronze.

As a former foil fencer myself (and hopeful future fencer as well), there is a special place in my heart for the sport of the blade. I certainly hope that this sweep will jump-start a greater period of growth in this sport here in the U.S. Congratulations, ladies, on your achievement! Keep up the great work!

Here are some links on the sport of fencing.

A fencing blog.

The United States Fencing Association

Triplette competition arms

3 comments:

Sasha said...

I forgot which one goes to Columbia, but she's in Ben's class.

Fencing seems like something you would be good at, Sir Douglas.

Steven Douglas said...

Hey Sasha! That's really cool. I would love to talk to her. I'm sure she has been through a lot to get where she is.

I was pretty good. . . Not Nationals good, but if things had been different, who knows? Thanks for stopping by.

Sasha said...

Oops, I guess I was wrong. Ben informed me that it was one of the men who took a silver that's in his class.