Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mississippi

I am back from Mississippi. We had a good time despite nothing going the way we expected. Much of the work we did involved redoing work others had done poorly. We had to rush to get things accomplished, and I hope that we left things better than we found them.

We mudded, taped, sanded, and primed walls in a trailer home and a house. Our pastor hung vinyl siding and one team made bunk beds for the quonset huts.

The fellowship was excellent, too. I got to know a number of people of varying ages from our church and fostered great friendships. I was not expecting that either.

There were lots of insects in Mississippi, including gigantic cockroaches that pushed four inches in length. I saw many orb-web spiders, argiopes, and a very large wolf spider.

I had a good time but missed Jenny. I was sad to leave her the day after our anniversary. This last week was the longest we have been apart in five years of marriage. I was glad to get back home.

Southern Mississippi is still struggling to get back on its feet. Water, trash removal, and electricity are still problems in many places, there are stray dogs everywhere, and piles of rubble from decimated homes. Some have moved back or built new homes there and there is a weird mix of trailer homes, ruins, and very nice mini-mansions. Mississippi will be recovering for a while.

I will be posting pictures soon.

No comments: