Friday, June 27, 2008

A Comparison Between the Holy Spirit's Role In the Old Testament and In the New

As I mentioned in a previous article, I have written a paper on the Holy Spirit. This paper is specifically aimed at examining how the Holy Spirit and his role have been conceptualized in the Old and New Testaments, and builds a case that his role today is a continuation rather than a replacement to his Old Testament role, though it has been expanded and simultaneously clarified. The introduction to my paper follows.

A consideration of the Holy Spirit, his function, and his association with the other persons of the deity and the believer in both the Old and New Testaments is essential for a healthy Christian faith. Through understanding these concepts, the Christian is better prepared to grow in faith, appreciation for God’s revelation, and to submit to the Spirit’s will. This paper will examine who the Spirit is; how he has functioned and has been revealed in both Testaments; and what he is continuing to do within the community of believers. Finally, this paper will build a case for a cohesive and purposeful continuation of his role and purpose, while acknowledging subtle but significant differences in how that role is carried out.

To read more of this paper, click here.

5 comments:

Pulse said...

I enjoyed the paper. I agree with Hamilton's distinction that the Spirit regenerated in the OT but did not necessarily indwell the individual. I wonder, however, if there are any Biblical texts to validate this claim, or if this is merely an inference from a theological system.

Personally, I would have liked to see what it means to walk with the Spirit and to grieve the Spirit.

Brent

Steven Douglas said...

Indeed! Where does one quit on a paper about the Holy Spirit? My prof thought the topic was too broad as it was.

Hamilton did use Scripture to derive his claims, I will point you to his book for now - "God's Indwelling Presence." I think that particular argument of his rings a little hollow, however.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Timothy L. Decker said...

Typical covenant view - continuity and anti-discontinuity. Hope you are doing well, Steven. I have just taken my first PhD class (the lecture part, I still have to read 2,000 pages and write a 30 page research paper and a 10 page 'how to' manual). I look forward to reading your paper when my head is a little more clear. God bless, brother!

Tim

Timothy L. Decker said...

By the way, in case others weren't aware, I made that covenant view remark in jest. I should clarify since not all readers know my terrible sense of humor.

Hey, did you also write on how the Holy Spirit convicts?...

Steven Douglas said...

Timothy,

Thanks for the note. Let me know what you think when you get the chance to read it.