Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Problems with the Dispensational View of the Sermon on the Mount

Here is a link to an article written concerning the Sermon on the Mount. The gist of the article is that the Sermon on the Mount was Jesus teaching Jews (and Jews only) how to live according to the Law. This may have in mind the Classical Dispensational belief that the Jews alone will inherit the new earth and these lessons are in preparation for that time. There are a great many problems with this view and I only touched on the surface of those problems with the comment I made on that blog.

I have great respect for the article's author, but I also find the viewpoint to be in grievous error. If you read the article, keep in mind that the author believes that all the things said in Matt. 5-7 is for Jewish living (including calling God "Father," the Lord's prayer, and the blessings lists). He also does not believe that Jesus' commands found in this section can be or should be lived up to by Christians.

2 comments:

Timothy L. Decker said...

In my deffense, I think this was not an accurate portrayal of the Dispensational view.

But I'll take the free advertisement. Thanks, Steven. As always, I thoroughly enjoy our debates/discussions/disagreements or whatever they are called. God bless. Did you finish your semester strong?

Steven Douglas said...

Please set me straight, Tim. I don't want to be unfair. Yes, I think I did, although the grades haven't been posted yet. I hope you are doing well.