Thursday, February 21, 2008

Back To the Basics (2)

Proverbs 30:8b-9: "[G]ive me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."

A good friend brought this passage to me recently. It is certainly true. I found myself pursuing money rather than pursuing God. When money becomes an idol, no amount is enough. So back to the basics! I know that God is faithful to his children. I know that God is good. I know that God is loving. I know that God is faithful to bruise because he loves. I know that he will care for us. I know that God is the King of Glory. Psalm 24:8-10: "Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle. Lift up your heads, O you gates; lift them up, you ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in. Who is he, this King of glory? The LORD Almighty-- he is the King of glory."

Let us remember we serve the King of Glory, and not our own desires. We serve for a future reward and not a present one. We lean on him now because we want him forever. So when things go wrong, let us turn to him. Praise God for faithful bruising! Thank God for sifting! Proclaim his name in the midst of trials and destruction! May his name be lifted up when death has arrived! Our God is faithful and more important than any of these things. May his name be praised forever.

When things are good and we have all we need, let us turn to him. When we have "earned" the big promotion, let us remember that he has shown us favor. When we have been given a raise, he has remembered us. When we can afford all that we want and can enjoy life, we must be careful to remember the God who bled for us and seek his will for our wealth. Let us not be like the Israelites who, in the time of the judges, looked down, disowned God, and "did what was right in their own eyes."

No comments: