Monday, September 24, 2007

An Unfortunate Example

Recently you may have noticed that I have been thinking about marriage. I have also been trying to work on mine. It is not always easy when school, work, and other responsibilities get in the way. I have to borrow time from one responsibility or another to spend time with my wife or to spend some alone time (like blogging). But there is a reason. My wife needs me. She needs not only the affirmation and encouragement only her husband can offer, but she needs quality time and conversation, and to know that her husband wants to know her still.

Unfortunately, there are horror stories all around us. Just last night I found out that another couple that we know from both church and seminary are heading toward divorce. She has left him. I am making myself available to him for conversation, but I am not sure what might be accomplished through this. Pray for them. Pray that they will come to understand not only each other, but what their marriage says about God. They do not understand that they are lying about him to the world around them. They also do not understand the constant pain that may be ahead of them. I have witnessed divorce up-close and it is the ugliest thing imaginable.

Divorce does not just affect non-Christians. Yet I would suggest that those who claim Christ and yet divorce (or commit actions that leads to divorce) do not know him as they ought. Each one must labor to make their marriage work. Remember 2 Timothy 2:15, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved (admittedly taken out of context)." Your marriage is not your own. Your body is not your own. These things are owned by God; bought and payed for by the blood of Jesus Christ.

No comments: