Thursday, August 16, 2007

Writing One's Own Memorial

Tonight I woke up thinking of my relationship with God and what makes my life worth living. I started thinking about what people might say about me when I die. From there, I began to think what I would want people to take away from my memorial service. Tonight I composed a poem that encapsulated those sentiments. Sorry for the teaser, but your going to have to wait to see it! ;)

I highly recommend that people should think of their demise and legacy when they think of what avenues to pursue in life and where they want to end up. It puts a better perspective on things. I also recommend composing your own memorial poetry, epitaph, or requiem, as it is one of the last memories some will ever have of you.

Here is a lovely example. Benjamin Franklin wrote his own epitaph.
The body of Benjamin Franklin, printer, like the cover of an old book, its contents torn out and stripped of its lettering and gilding, lies here, food for worms. But the work shall not be lost; for it will, as he believed, appear once again in a new and more elegant edition, revised and corrected by the author.
Great stuff from an eminently wise yet humble man.

No comments: