Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Interesting Things You Find While Landscaping

I will be posting somewhat regularly on the things I find while landscaping. Louisville, Kentucky has a lot of history and was founded by William Clark of Lewis and Clark fame. It was named after Louis XVI of France who had helped America win its independence from Britain.

While we usually find recent things like bricks, coins, legos, etc.; sometimes one will find something truly interesting. One fellow landscaper found an old Native arrowhead. This post, however, is devoted to spiders. The hot and humid weather here tends to result in rather large insects and arachnids. Here are a few pictures of what I have seen. The couple pictures are of a Golden Argiope (or Black and Yellow Argiope), and the last is of a Fishing Spider. I also accidentally uncovered a trapdoor spider which was rather large but didn't have my camera.


2 comments:

txandmn0707 said...

This is precisely why I don’t do landscaping!

Brent

Steven Douglas said...

Yes, I almost ran smack dab into the spider on the web. Its web was about eight feet tall and as wide. It was resting at face level and had a leg-span of over five inches! I would not have been a happy camper (and neither would the spider).